Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Using "ip.id" for dissector_add

From: Michael Tüxen <Michael.Tuexen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2008 13:16:20 +0100
Hi Lars,

are really sure that your protocol looks at the ip-id field,
not the ip.proto field?

The ip-id field is not intended yo be used for protocol demultiplexing,
but for IP reassembly. This field is normally under control of
the sender which is free to put any value into it, for example
the value you chose. So be prepared that you receive packets which
are not your protocol. Also IP fragmentation will not work...

Why are you misusing the ip.id field? What kind of protocol are
you considering?

Best regards
Michael