Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Wireshark on a Windows XP VMware?

From: "Peter Johansson" <peterjohansson73@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 07:44:28 +0100
2007/12/14, Raymond Jender <rayj00@xxxxxxxxx>:

Are there any known issues when running Wireshark on
a Windows XP VMware Guest?

I am running Ubuntu 6.10 host. I have Wireshark
0.99.6a installed on a Windows XP VMware Guest.

I also have Wireshark on the host Ubuntu. If I ping a
device on the network from the VMware Wireshark, I can
see the ICMP on both Wiresharks. If I ping the same
device from the Ubuntu Wireshark, I can only see the
packets on the Ubuntu Wireshark. I never see TCP
traffic on the VMware Wireshark but I do on the Ubuntu
Wireshark. This is not an IP assignment issue on the
Ubuntu and VMware interfaces.

I remember that a while ago, you had to request a packet capture driver from the VMWare team to be able to get any sort of packet capture software detecting any packets at all. I do not know if this is still an issue though. But it may be the source of your problems.

Regards, Peter

I remember that