Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Interpreting ethernet trailers

From: "Benn Bollay" <benn@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 13:09:21 -0800
Hello all --

I'm trying to write a dissector for ethernet trailers.  It seems like the ideal way would be to hook the existing ethernet dissector and have it call my dissector, however I can't figure out any way of doing this on the existence of the trailer that doesn't require manipulating packet-eth.c (I was hoping for a plugin).  I was looking at doing this as a postdissector, but then I would have to parse the relevent headers to determine where the end of the "proper" packet lay, which seemed like a lot of unnecessary duplicate work.

Any comments or suggestions?

Cheers,
--B