Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] new packet-usb-audio dissector?

From: Pascal Heude <pascalheude@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2007 14:47:35 +0100
Hi,

There is a lot of documentation which help to develop plugin/dissector.
Personaly, I wrote 2 plugins and I used an article found on internet : http://www.codeproject.com/KB/IP/custom_dissector.aspx
And I also used one book : Nessus, Snort and Ethereal power tools.

One remark about the article : the link is given in the wireshark website, but now the link is broken. The good one is the one above.
Can somespan tells the webmaster to update the link (in Bibliography, the article from Ken Thompson) ?

Pascal

Németh Márton a écrit :
Hi,

I would like to implement the USB Audio Subclass
( http://www.usb.org/developers/devclass_docs/audio10.pdf ) dissector for
Wireshark, so I started to read the documentation. In "Wireshark Developer's
Guide" ( http://www.wireshark.org/docs/wsdg_html/#ChDissectSetup ) it was
recommended to start a new dissector to be a "plugin". Is this the recommended
format or should I start writing the new dissector into
wireshark/epan/packet-usb-audio.c? What are the drawbacks and gains writing a
plugin vs. writing a built-in dissector?

I also found the following sentece:

"You can find a good example for these files in the h223 plugin directory."

However, the h223 packet dissector is located at wireshark/epan/dissectors/packet-h223.c,
so I assume it is not (or no longer) a plugin.

In the wireshark/doc/README.plugins (from current SVN), I found that I should take
the wireshark/plugins/agentx. So where should I start?

	Márton Németh