Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] How to playback the AMR in RTP packet

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 20:08:53 +0100
Hi,

Isn't this a problem for every audio stream. The RTP player has a configurable jitter buffer, but the actual endpoint usually has a dynamic one. Also packet loss concealment can improve the perception at the endpoint considerably. So the RTP player is nice, but isn't really relevant for the end user perception.

Thanx,
Jaap

Luis EG Ontanon wrote:
Just note:
Most AMR codec/decoders take all three streams and choose the best one
they can use but what you would hear as a middleman might not be what
someone in the other side of a radio link is hearing. That is if we
feed a codec in the middle we probably feed them good frames and it
will use the higher quality stream codec (usu 14.4kbps) but the actual
receiver might be using another lower quality stream (hearing flutes
when listening to violins) because the radio link does not provide
enough bandwidth for the high quality one.

That means listening to the AMR that passes through a Iu/Nb link would
be useful for snooping a conversation but non useful for diagnostic
purposes as you might not hear the same audio the other folk gets.