Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] patent on parsing data using (offset, size) pairs

Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 17:15:44 -0600
Ran across this: http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/7243343.html

I think it's invalid as wireshark source code is prior art.  But
although recently issued, it was filed back in 2001, and I don't know
how long wireshark/ethereal has used the same kind of protocol
decoders, since I started writing custom decodes about two years ago.
Surely there'd be other prior art though.

Or is what wireshark does somehow different from what is described in
the claims?

I have no relationship with IBM or any of their lawyers, I'm just a
happy wireshark user.