Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Wish: Mark/Find the element matching the display filter
From: Guy Harris <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 14:58:16 -0800
Stephen Fisher wrote:

My bad, it does work as I had intended.  It highlights the field (with
the function highlight_field()) whenever you do a hex or string search,
but not when you do a filter search.  Should we add filter search
matches too?
I'd say "yes" - if a search pattern of any sort matches a packet because
it matches a particular field in the packet, it should highlight the
matching field regardless of the type of the match.
That does raise an interesting question - if a pattern matches *more
than one* field in a packet, should "find next" find the next instance
that matches, even if it's in the same packet, or should it find the
packet, search subsequent packets?  There are probably places where the
former is useful and places where the latter is useful.