Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Wireshark-commits] rev 23484: /trunk/ /trunk/: config.nmake

From: Kaul <mykaul@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 20:42:37 +0200
Isn't it worth implementing for Win32 as well (and possibly Linux and so on) ?

On Nov 18, 2007 6:06 PM, Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx> wrote:
gal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx schrieb:
> http://anonsvn.wireshark.org/viewvc/viewvc.cgi?view=rev&revision=23484
>
>  Update to optionally use the "Ultimate Packer for eXecutables" (UPX) to pack the exes and dlls prior to U3 and PortableApps packaging.

Very nice!
>  For the U3 package, this results in a 40% smaller package.

What I've roughly expected.
>  For the PortableApps version, the package size is not much different, but the install time is quicker.

... and it will be smaller on the stick. PortableApps uses an NSIS
installer, which has a pretty good compression ratio - so it's not
surprising that packging the executables a second time won't help a lot.

The values I've measured (install time and size on stick):
"uncompressed" 2:50 55MB
"UPX" 2:00 36MB

So it seems to be worth included into the "standard" U3 and PortableApps
packaging IMO.

What about putting the upx301w.zip file into wireshark-win32-libs so we
have it available on the build machine and let the config.nmake setting
point to it as default?

Regards, ULFL