Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Global configuration files are overwritten by Debian package

From: Martin André <andre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2007 14:31:57 +0900
Hello,

I'm wondering if it is currently possible to keep global configuration
file set for the whole system, for example custom system-wide color or
display filters, during an upgrade of wireshark on debian.

Since Wireshark does not store the default configuration files in the
standard /etc location, files will be automatically overwritten during
the upgrade of the software. It would help to flag these files as
conffiles so we are asked what is the action to be done in order to not
loose configuration. We could do that by adding these files to the
wireshark-common.conffiles, WDYT?

Or maybe there is a better place to store system wide custom filters?

Also, just being curious, is there a particular reason to have 2
wireshark directories in the path where configuration files are stored
(/usr/share/wireshark/wireshark)?

Thanks for your answers,
Martin