Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] what are the steps needed to add a plugin

From: "jaydeep chokshi" <chokshi.jaydeep@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 11:42:14 -0800
Greeting folks,

I am a newbie to the wireshark development. I created a plugin foo (in Linux) that comes into action after Ethernet header has been dissected.

In order to compile wireshark with the plugin, I had to make following additions/changes,

1. In the foo directory,
  1.1 Edit Makefile.common to add entries of sources and headers.
  1.2 Edit the Makefile.in to add entries of *.lo in "am_objects_x"
  1.3 Add plugin entry in Makefile.am

2. In plugin (../foo) directory,
   2.1 Edit Makefile to add an entry of foo
   2.2 Edit the Makefile.in to add an entry of foo
   2.3 Edit the Makefile.am to add an entry of foo

3. In wireshark (../plugin) directory,
   3.1 Edit Makefile to add an entry of foo in "am_DEPENDENCIES_2" variable.
   3.2 Edit Makefile.in  to add an entry of foo in "am_DEPENDENCIES_1" variable.
   3.3 Edit configure script to add entry of foo in "ac_config_files" variable.
   3.4 Edit configure.in script to add entry of foo in "AC_OUTPUT(" variable.

Having done all the above changes, I managed to attach the plugin to wireshark binary.

My question cum confusion is, do we have to go through all the pain in order to make a plugin work?
I mean, do we need to edit these many Makefiles every single time we add a new plugin?

Let me know if I am doing something wrong here. I greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

JD