Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] How to capture original packet ?

From: "Maynard, Chris" <Christopher.Maynard@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 08:17:19 -0400
Shunra also offers some excellent products, but I recall them being rather expensive. (http://www.shunra.com/products)

Most of the time I simply use Nistnet for this purpose though: http://www-x.antd.nist.gov/nistnet/ <http://www-x.antd.nist.gov/nistnet/> .  It's free.
- Chris

________________________________

From: wireshark-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of Lars Ruoff
Sent: Thu 10/11/2007 5:26 AM
To: 'Developer support list for Wireshark'
Cc: 'jayesh agrawal'; sanjay.raghani@xxxxxxxxx; 'Kartik Nibjiya Studyin .... Wat else ???'
Subject: Re: [Wireshark-dev] How to capture original packet ?

Hello Vivek,

Maybe you're mxing up some things.
From what you write I conclude that what you actually might want to do is
"intercept" (=prevent that it is receptioned on a higher layer) a packet,
rather than just "capture" (=get a copy of its content) it.
If so, then Wireshark is not the tool to do it.
And I doubt that there is any tool for doing this easily.
If you want a machine that stands in a transmission path and adds delay (or
other perturbations) to packets, then what you need is probably a PC with
two network interfaces, capturing from one, applying the perturbation and
then playing back onto the other.
Some comercial solutions based on this principle exist: Netdisturb, Internet
Simlulator, ...

Regards,
Lars Ruoff