Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] column_info.h rev 23058 introduce a bug for plugins?

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 12:33:56 +0200
Hello,

On Wed, Oct 10, 2007 at 11:29:14AM +0200, Sake Blok wrote:
> Sorry for breaking your plugin-distribution, but it has been my understanding that all plugins need to be compiled against the sources of the version you want to use them with. So every Wireshark version has it's own plugin-binaries. If sometimes plugins can be used with multiple Wireshark-versions, it's luck, because the current API does not guarantee it.
>
> The reason for putting the new column-options in the middle of the enums is that they logically fit there. I would prefer to keep them there.

Both of you have a point. Normally we try not to break downward
compatibility deliberately, but it may happen. Having a readable source
code is also rather important. The idea of having a 1.0 release is to
provide a branch that will try very hard not to break downward
compatibility - it's not quite here yet but made a big step forward
thanks to Ulf's recent efforts. 1.1 is quite likely to break downward
compatibility again. Under normal circumstances I'd have moved the
values to the end until something else broke downward abi compatibility
anyway but that close to 1.0 I don't think it's worth to change it and
for 1.0 the code base should be as clean as possible.

Ciao
   Joerg