Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] mikey decryption

From: Richard van der Hoff <richardv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 19:41:20 +0100
Filippo Margiotta wrote:
We are not distributing the software, but we should use this potential new plugin internally in the company.
I think this should not be the case for a violation of the GPL.

You're right, that's not a violation of the GPL. As Luis says, we would encourage you to distribute the dissector (with source code), but it's your right not to. If your security relies solely on people not having access to the implementation's source code, however, I suggest you go back to the drawing board rather than trying to dissect it... Imagine where we'd be if SSL relied on the same principles!

In any case, we are very unlikely to accept a patch which adds hooks for a proprietary dll into the main wireshark distribution; I for one am also disinclined to help you develop this. In other words: you're on your own here.