Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Wish List - Notes Field

From: "bmcmanus" <bmcmanus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 09:01:32 -0400
I couldn't identify where to send this from the on-line docs.  I apologize if this is the wrong group.  Moderator, if
this is not the appropriate group,  please forward this request to the correct address.

For a relatively simple (I assume...) wish list item, I'd like to see a free-form "notes" field stored with each capture
file to allow a description of the capture conditions and specific relevant information about the capture to be
maintained with the file.  Right now I encode as much as I can into the file name, but there's a lot more I'd like to
add, plus additional notes as I analyze the capture and discover important packets or sequences.

For options, it would be nice if the "notes" field included and automatically populated various significant fields,
e.g., capture time/date, interface(s) used, capture options and filter settings.

Thank you all for considering this proposal.  And thank you, too, for the best (and most economical!) protocol analyzer
anywhere!

Best Regards,
Jon "Buddy" McManus
bmcmanus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx