Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Alternative to USBPcap and Possibility of having our device

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 15:09:36 -0700

On Sep 27, 2007, at 3:51 AM, Varuna De Silva wrote:

This is what we hope to do, we will use the filter driver, of snifferusb2.0, and hope to get the raw usb packets, then I will write the porting file ( the
famous pcap-xxx.c file), similar to one which we are doing
to integrate our hw, and integrate it with pcap-win32.

Since this sniffer is also opensource, hope its ok.

I don't see any license on the code from

	http://benoit.papillault.free.fr/usbsnoop/

so presumably there's no issue of license incompatibility with the BSD license for libpcap/WinPcap.

However, he doesn't have a 2.0 version; where did you find the 2.0 version?

Any comments ? Or just tell if we are going to do something
foolish. Can we use the dissectors that are already written for the
linux platform.

Most of them, probably. However, you'd either have to provide the same link-layer header that's provided by the Linux code, and use the same DLT_ value, or provide a different link-layer header, register a different DLT_ value, and write your own "dissect_win32_usb()" routine to dissect that header.

The next question is that, we are able to have the piece of
HW that we developed and which will be in a working condition by the mid of
next month, as an Opensource HW platform compatible with
(If not only with) Wireshark. It can intercept a physical TDM line,
to display the messages going on it. Is anything like this
possible with wireshark.

"Possible with Wireshark" in what sense? If that's the hardware for which you're developing the SS7 support in WinPcap, it should be possible to make it work - that's what you're doing.