Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [ntar-workers] Extending Wireshark libpcap format support, o

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 09:08:33 +0200
Guy Harris schrieb:
On Sep 27, 2007, at 2:01 PM, Ulf Lamping wrote:

Yes, I guess one of the problematic things to include pcapng into
Wireshark is to find a good interface between libwiretap and Wireshark
(or probably no interface at all). There are a lot of new concepts in
pcapng that has no counterpart in the current Wireshark implementation.

Yes, the current Wiretap API is insufficient for pcap-NG; it should be replaced with an API that can handle pcap-NG, which might also make it better able to handle other capture file formats (for example, some other capture file formats support user comments, which we currently ignore).
I don't know how much of the current API must be *replaced*, I hope that the API can be *extended* so we don't have to change all implemented file formats ;-)

Yes, we currently ignore information, especially from the proprietary file formats - and loose it while doing file format conversions. As some "destination file formats" cannot handle the information, this loss cannot be avoided (notably our current libpcap format is pretty limited). Unfortunately, we don't even get a hint to the user, something like: "Warning: This file format will loose user comments of the original file".

Or are there so many things in the proprietary formats we don't know, that this is potentially the case for almost all conversions? And giving such a warning sometimes, but not for all information loss will keep the user in a safety that's just not true (he looses information and sometimes we don't warn) - so we shouldn't introduce such a warning.

Regards, ULFL