Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [ntar-workers] Extending Wireshark libpcap format support, o

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 18:12:22 -0700

On Sep 27, 2007, at 2:01 PM, Ulf Lamping wrote:

Yes, I guess one of the problematic things to include pcapng into
Wireshark is to find a good interface between libwiretap and Wireshark
(or probably no interface at all). There are a lot of new concepts in
pcapng that has no counterpart in the current Wireshark implementation.

Yes, the current Wiretap API is insufficient for pcap-NG; it should be replaced with an API that can handle pcap-NG, which might also make it better able to handle other capture file formats (for example, some other capture file formats support user comments, which we currently ignore).