Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] tshark now using dumpcap - unix side currently don't work -

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 21:52:48 +0200
Jeff Morriss schrieb:
First, thanks for doing it! :-)
Thanks for helping me out :-)
Second: I don't know much about it but I just committed something that works for me.
Seems others are satisfied as well :-)
It seems (based on my somewhat limited testing) that we don't need to worry about blocking in tshark so the *NIX side is now just blocking trying to read from the child. Could the Windows side not do the same?
Maybe - have to try. AFAIR, the only "event" that the Windows side has to handle is Ctrl+C, which is done through a special handler (much like signal() is working).

All other "events" (new capture file, new packets, ...) will come exactly from the pipe we're blocking on.

So on both platforms simply blocking on the input pipe and stop the capture through "signals" could work - and would be much easier than the Wireshark implementation ;-))

Regards, ULFL

P.S: I thought to have the same implementation for Wireshark and tshark would be desireable, but as the tshark implementation is *that* simple and the Wireshark side has to do more, having two different implementations of this is more than justified to me.