Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] How to set my device name with pcap_platform_finddevs()

From: "Varuna De Silva" <varunax@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 17:03:15 +0530
Hello,

I want to get the name of my device in capture->interfaces

> As long as you've modified libpcap/WinPcap so that pcap_findalldevs() adds your device to the list of available  > devices, it should be displayed in Capture -> Interfaces and in the drop-down list in Capture -> Options.

I also found in a previous mailing list in wireshark the following,

> You'd also want to modify the "pcap_platform_finddevs()" routine to, if you were
> building with support for the Septel cards, call a routine in "pcap-septel.c" to supply a
> list of names for the Septel devices, so they show up
> when interfaces are enumerated (e.g., when Ethereal shows its drop-down list of interfaces,
> or when Tethereal - o tcpdump, if you add SS7 decoding support to it - are run with the "-D" flag).
> "pcap_add_if()" is the routine it' >  call to add an interface to the list; see, for example,
> "dag_platform_finddevs()" in "pcap-dag.c".

I have few questions regarding this

1. How should I work around so that pcap_findalldevs() will add my device in the list?

2. What is the relationship between pcap_platform_finddevs() and pcap_findalldevs() function
   in this regard ?

3. How should I modify "pcap_platform_finddevs()" so that I get my device added? do I need to
do this?

4. Where are these two functions written, (pcap_findalldevs() I found only in fad32! Sorry
for this foolish question, But I was not able to figure it out)

Thanks

Varuna