Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Fwd: Re: [0/7] [PPP]: Fix shared/cloned/non-linear skb bugs

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 12:33:43 -0700

On Sep 11, 2007, at 11:39 AM, Toralf Förster wrote:

Running a stable Gentoo kernel 2.6.22-gentoo-r5 now for a while there's only
one thing left related to this topic.

I'm wondering why some UDP packets of the MS messenger protocol (with the usual text like "please click at www.we-destroy-your-computer.com") always have wrong
check sums regardless whether sniffed at ppp0 or eth0 interface.

But from all UDP packets of this (today) useless protocol only those have wrong check sums which are marked as "[Long frame (2 bytes)]" within wireshark.

BTW the checksum is 0x0000.

If by "wrong checksum" you mean wrong UDP checksum, then, when running over IPv4, the UDP checksum is optional - if a UDP packet has no checksum, the checksum field has the value 0x0000, and the receiving UDP implementation should not check the checksum.

That's probably independent of the "Long frame" issue; we'd have to see a capture file with one of those packets to see what's causing that issue.