Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Problem adding new dissector

From: Doug Fajardo <dfajardo@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 15:15:35 -0700
Hi!
    I am attempting to add a built-in dissector to wireshark (version
0.99.6) on linux, and it appears that the build system is not processing
(i.e.: putting references to the source into the Makefiles) the new
dissector. The dissector code was originally written and works in
ethereal-0.10.11. I am guessing that there is a step that I missed in
setting up the build files. Can anyone tell me what I missed?

  Here's what I did, and what I see:

   (1) Copy packet-pp.c (the dissector) into epan/dissectors.

   (2) Edit Makefile.common and add it to the DISSECTOR_SRC macro. (Yes,
There are tabs before and after the packet-pp.c text. No, there is no
associated  *.h file):

        # the dissector sources (without any helpers)
DISSECTOR_SRC = \
        packet-bacapp.c         \
        packet-pp.c             \
        packet-cops.c           \
        packet-diameter.c       \
        packet-ipsec.c          \
        packet-isup.c           \
        packet-k12.c            \
        packet-nbd.c            \
        packet-sccp.c           \
        packet-scsi-osd.c       \
        packet-sctp.c           \
        packet-ssl-utils.c      \
        packet-user_encap.c

   (3) Ran configure (no options) at the top level.

  (4) I notice that  epan/dissector/Makefile was built. It does NOT have
packet.c in it, although all of the other dissectors are present in the
file. Here is one excerpt from the Makefile - notice that packet-ss.c is
NOT in this list!
# the dissector sources (without any helpers)
DISSECTOR_SRC = \
        packet-bacapp.c         \
        packet-cops.c           \
        packet-diameter.c       \
        packet-ipsec.c          \
        packet-isup.c           \
        packet-k12.c            \
        packet-nbd.c            \
        packet-sccp.c           \
        packet-scsi-osd.c       \
        packet-sctp.c           \
        packet-ssl-utils.c      \
        packet-user_encap.c

  (5) Note that wireshark built and runs normally, except that it doesnt
have the new protocol dissector.

Thanks in Advance!
*** Doug