Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Windows 2K build problems

From: "yin sun" <sunyin51@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2007 22:31:32 -0400
my experience is, try the same build command again, it may pass and move further then failed at other place. Then you can try again. I post the problem before in the mailing list, seems nobody has the same problem. I have to think my build environment is not clean or my notebook is too slow (NC8000).

/Yin

On 9/7/07, Graham Bloice <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Michael Allport wrote:

> I apologize if this is not the correct forum, but I've got a question …

I'll only reply the once, even though you seem to have posted the same
message twice.

> I am using Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Standard Edition on a Windows
> 2000 (5.00.2195 Service Pack 4) laptop PC.
>

> When I run through the build process, some make files can find items
> like perl, sed, and xcopy …. then they cannot.
>

> Even more frustrating is I can run the commands manually that 'just
> failed' in the build process.
>

> For example, the following snippet of make output shows perl being not
> found, then I can run the command my self.
>

> The interesting thing is, I have no problem building on a Windows XP
> Home Edition environment (running through the same commands and using
> the same software).
>

> Please help.
>

> ---------- snippet begin ------------

You aren't showing the initial command you used to start the build
process.  That would help.

> … the build process steps into the dissectors and cannot find perl,
> but I can run manuall…
>

> Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 8.00.50727.42
>
> Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.
>

> 'dfilter.lib' is up-to-date
>
>         cd ..
>
>         cd wslua
>
>         "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\BIN\nmake.exe"
> /                   -f Makefile.nmake
>

> Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 8.00.50727.42
>
> Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.
>

> 'wslua.lib' is up-to-date
>
>         cd ..
>
>         cd dissectors
>
>         "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\BIN\nmake.exe"
> /                   -f Makefile.nmake
>

> Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 8.00.50727.42
>
> Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.
>

>         perl process-x11-fields.pl <x11-fields
>
> 'perl' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
>
> operable program or batch file.
>
> NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'perl' : return code '0x1'
>
> Stop.
>
> NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
> 8\VC\BIN\nmake.exe"' : return code '0x2'
>
> Stop.
>
> NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
> 8\VC\BIN\nmake.exe"' : return code '0x2'
>
> Stop.
>

> C:\wireshark>
>

> ****** I can manually run the command that failed .. .
>

> C:\wireshark\epan\dissectors>
>
> C:\wireshark\epan\dissectors>perl process-x11-fields.pl <x11-fields

Which implies that the environment for nmake is different from your
command shell.

> C:\wireshark\epan\dissectors>"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
> 8\VC\BIN\nmake.exe" /                   -f Makefile.nmake

And this is really odd.  If you have your build environment set
correctly, you should really be able to run nmake *without* supplying a
path.

Have you run "vcvars32.bat" from the same "bin" directory as nmake.exe
is found in?  That sets the paths for VC.

It could help if you post the output of "path" from your build
environment.  What is the result of "nmake -f makefile.nmake verify_tools" ?

--
Regards,

Graham Bloice