Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Memory leak

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2007 18:15:49 -0400

Didier wrote:
(aka sizeof structure g_mem_chunk) not the allocated memory as with gtk1. You have to call g_mem_chunk_free for each allocated chunk.

I'm not seeing that leak, at least on Linux. Each atom is 131,072 bytes big.
Reloading a 170,000 packet trace file many times does not show any growth
in > > memory usage for Wireshark. If what you're saying is true then I should
see > > /huge/ memory leak each time the file is reloaded, non?
Yes you should.
Which glib version are you using? Here I'm seeing a 1MB growth for a 20 000
packets trace with glib2 and none with glib1.

glib2-2.4.7 (RHEL 4)

There are 1024 frames per atom so 20,000 frames would use 20 atoms. 20 atoms is 2,621,440 bytes which doesn't quite match what you're seeing (then again, I'm compiling 64-bit so maybe my atoms are bigger).