Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] SNMP: libsmi state and how to add MIB files to the distribut

From: "Luis EG Ontanon" <luis.ontanon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 21:28:36 +0200
On 9/4/07, Wes Hardaker <wjhns36@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> What's the current state of the libsmi integration?
>
> FYI, I think libsmi is a great library.  But I did want to point out
> that a future release of Net-SNMP is expected to offer the use libtls or
> libmcrypt instead of openssl.  At this point, you're already switching
> and libsmi is a great library so there is no real reason to stop the
> work.  But the original requirement for switching is likely going away.

I went to libsmi mainly because I could not find any documentation on
how to traverse the already loaded MIB in Net-SNMP. I needed to do it
in order to be able to register the various fields for values and
indexes. That way, now, indexes and values now are "filterable".

For instance now it is possible to do something like this:

IF-MIB.ifEntry.ifIndex == 3 && IF-MIB.ifOperStatus == up

Which IMHO is the original requirement.

Luis