Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] SNMP: libsmi state and how to add MIB files to the distribut

From: "Luis EG Ontanon" <luis.ontanon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2007 17:31:25 +0200
On 9/3/07, Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I was asking basically the same thing a few weeks ago and was told that the SNMP dissector will deeply change because of the upcoming switch from net-snmp to libsmi. As libsmi work seems to be completed:
>
> What's the current state of the libsmi integration?
Libsmi support is there, in the windows zip we are the PIBs (MIBs for COPS)

> Is it ready or are there still things to be done?
I'd say about 65% ready.  I'm keeping a TO DO list in
http://wiki.wireshark.org/Development/SNMP.

> Are there any changes in the SNMP MIB Preference setting (e.g. different delimiter chars than before)?
This has changed, there is a protocol tab in preferences called "MIBS"
that has two tables, one to add directories to the path the other one
to add modules.
The path so far has a default value to which item from the table are
added. separators are handled by the code.

> Fortunately, libsmi provides a lot more MIBs than net-snmp did. However, as there are a lot of  MIBs still not included: How can additional MIB's be integrated into Wireshark that are not part of the libsmi assortment?
I copied only the ietf mibs in the zip file there is some more
distributed with libsmi that could be interesting.

> Should we have a local MIB repository or is it better to try to include them into libsmi?
In windows we distribute libsmi so we'll include the MIBs for unix we
use what libsmi provides.

> I would like to add some LLDP related MIBs (freely available from the IEC) to the Wireshark distribution. Of course, I'll have to ask the IEC if they can be included into WS first.
we should add a mibs directory to trunk's root and install them as
with radius/diameter stuff.

Unfortunately I'm currently moving, so for few days I won't be of big help...

-- Marshall McLuhan