Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Hardware Platform to capture SS7 traffic on TDM lines to Decode

From: "Varuna De Silva" <varunax@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2007 19:37:43 -1200
Hi All,

Dear friends I am new to the Wireshark community as a developer. As our final year project
we will be developing a SS7 protocol Analyzer. Here we will be developing the Hardware
Circuitry to tap a physical E1 line. We have used Dallas Maxim E1/DS1 ICs are being used to
capture the raw data and those data will be ported in to a machine using a USB IC from FTDI.

We hope to analyze the raw data we capture through WireShark. The data we capture is in the
memory and we can access them via a custom API. We hope to insert these data in to pseudo
UDP or TCP packets and analyze through WireShark.

Please instruct us how should we start about from here, asking ANY question from us. Can we know
of any documentation that is available on SS7 message decoding in WireShark, as we know it
is not there in /docs  directory.

 Also we want to know what is the starting point of dissecting the SS7 stack in the WireShark
source. We went through the dissectors included in epan especially mtp2.c and there onwards
up the stack but our impression is that for our purpose we cant start at mtp2.c since we dont
see the Frame Alignment Word of SS7 ' 01111110 ' being handled there, subsequent decoding.

Regards

Xavier