Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Win2000 Error: wireshark.exe is not a valid Win32 applicatio

From: Greg Bell <greg_bell_12@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 09:57:38 -0700 (PDT)
If you have problems with the redistributable installer, you'll need to
fix that one first! You won't get anywhere with your Wireshark
installation if the redistributable is not installed properly.
>> Not sure what to do about this, I downloaded what was recommended in the Win32 guide. I tried on a few different Win2K machines and get the same error on all of them.

One idea: Do you have W2K SP 3 installed?
>> SP4

Rgrds,
Greg

Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx> wrote:
Greg Bell schrieb:
> This is what I get when I try and run my wireshark build on Windows
> 2000. It works fine on Windows XP and 2003. My build is based off
> the 0.99.6 release source. One thing I noticed was that when trying to
> install the Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable (during the Wireshark
> install), it gave a "Error 1723. There is a problem with this Windows
> Installer package...". Is there any compatibility issues with this and
> Windows 2000?

If you have problems with the redistributable installer, you'll need to
fix that one first! You won't get anywhere with your Wireshark
installation if the redistributable is not installed properly.

One idea: Do you have W2K SP 3 installed?
> Someone had this problem before, but it seems no solution was found:
>
> [Wireshark-dev] Error: wireshark.exe is not a valied Win32 application
> http://www.wireshark.org/lists/wireshark-dev/200706/msg00123.html
>
> Also, the Windows 2000 "problems to avoid" in
> http://wiki.wireshark.org/BuildingAndInstalling
> I don't understand.
I don't really understand that as well and tend to remove it completely.

Regards, ULFL