Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] finish of dissecting

From: "Luis EG Ontanon" <luis.ontanon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 15:13:34 +0200
For a dissector there's no such thing like a last packet, the
dissector has to behave as if another packet was to come. For a tap
listener there's neither sucha concept it has to behave as there could
still be more packets coming.

Ususally tap listeners are made arround two calls one that takes care
of every packet and another one that is periodically invoked to draw
the results (in the case of tshark it is called after all packets are
processed) .

The file doc/README.tapping in the source ditribution describes how to
write a tap.