Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Query regrading RRC decoder

From: "Anders Broman (AL/EAB)" <anders.broman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 13:40:32 +0200
Hi,
The RRC dissector is kind of standalone now and only called for some RRC
messages tunneled in GSM MAP
(I think it was) but can be called by name from any other dissector.

I don't have any deeper knowledge of the GSM/UMTS protocol stack on the
Iu(?) interfaces.
>From your previous posts I guess that you want to decode those messages
sent over UDP
Are those messages generated by a trace tool or some Nokia proprietary
solution or specified by
3GPP in some spec (which?).

Again from previous post it sounded like those messages are
UDP/FP/MAC/RRC?

Wireshark can't decode these messages without code changes.

If you would want to atempt those code changes  from Martin's post I
infer that the
FP part could be dissected by the UMTS FP dissector(I forgot the name of
the file) providing
Some additional information was given to the dissector by preferences or
a intermediate
Dissector for the UDP trace or transport format used by your
application.

I don't think we have a MAC (3GPP spec ref?) dissector so one have to be
written.
Some one mentioned that this layer may be Encrypted. Is that the case
for your trace?
If so you might have to add decryption to get to RRC.

It would be easier to anser your questions given some more background.
Reagrds
Anders