Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Finding the bug in the unistim dissector

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 11:19:07 +0200
Hi,

Digging deeper into these extra display handling functions showed that the format string escape it tries to accomplish was incorrect(*). With that fixed it ran 10000 fuzz test runs overnight, without problems.

I've other activities to attend to, but I hope to get back finishing up after the weekend.

Thanx,
Jaap

(*) format string escape was done by means of inserting a slash in front of a percent. That lead to a test case with "s/%nguage" format string. That "%n" causes trouble. Changing the escape character to "%" solved this.

Jaap Keuter wrote:
Hi,

Yeah, that was my first idea as well. Finding the object that gets altered isn't so easy though. Looking back at the code there are just your basic proto_tree_add_* calls, but there are two extra display handling functions which look oke, but may be the cause after all....

Thanx,
Jaap

Luis EG Ontanon wrote:
Might be a buffer overflow overwriting it.

- break after protocol registration.
- find the object that gets altered,
- set a watchpoint on that memory location
- continue until the watchpoint tells you who and where it gets overwritten.

Luis