Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Strip Ethernet broadcast / locally administered flags from a

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 10:48:19 +0200
Joerg Mayer schrieb:
resolv(04:05:06) -> xerox

resolv(05:05:06) -> fail, but it has mc-bit set,
so resolv(04:05:06) -> MC-Xeroxa   with 0x04 = (0x05 & 0xfe)

Yeah, working with examples might help...
As I've noted already, the buffer space isn't large enough to hold MC-Xerox, at least for some of the longer manuf names. I don't know all places where this buffer length had to be changed - if we want to change it at all. So changing anything here needs a lot more work that I don't tend to spend.

In the meantime I've checked in the "two pass" approach into addr_resolv.c:

First try to find a "perfect match" -> if found all is well
Second strip off both flags and try to find a match then -> if found return that one
No match found -> Give up

Having a look at the addr_resolv.c file, I got the feeling that this file is in desperate need of a cleanup - homemade hashtables, linear searches, everything doing slightly different where it's all the same ...

Regards, ULFL