Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Strip Ethernet broadcast / locally administered flags from a

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 23:13:31 +0200
Joerg Mayer schrieb:
On Tue, Aug 14, 2007 at 06:25:20PM +0200, Ulf Lamping wrote:
I've implemented an experimental change in epan/addr_resolv.c, which strips down both flags before doing the actual manuf resolvings - which is working well:

04:05:06 -> Xerox
05:05:06 -> Xerox
06:05:06 -> Xerox
07:05:06 -> Xerox

OK, BUT: The moment, the flag for locally assigned is true, resolving
should either stop or at least not mask out that bit
Sorry, but I don't understand both comments that you gave :-(

Do you mean:

04:05:06 -> Xerox
05:05:06 -> Xerox
06:05:06 -> 06:05:06
07:05:06 -> 07:05:06

Unfortunately, this "hides" both flags a little bit (although the display of these flags wasn't very "prominent" already before), so I'm unsure if the change should go into the Wireshark sources or not.

Maybe do two passes: One without the mask, and if it doesn't return
success, then with the mask (0xfe) on the first octet?
Hmmm, I don't really understand you here, too.

The removing of the bits are only done on a local copy in the manuf resolving function, not on the real data which will be displayed.

What I didn't meant is that the displayed address number will be changed in any way. But, when you display the address as text Xerox_01:02:03, you won't see the flags mentioned in the Source/Destination columns. Of course you see still see them in the tree.

Could you give a more verbose description of your points please?

Regards, ULFL