Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] pidl license question

From: Richard van der Hoff <richardv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 10:07:49 +0100 (BST)
On Tue, 14 Aug 2007, Joerg Mayer wrote:

On Mon, Aug 13, 2007 at 01:43:58PM +0100, Richard van der Hoff wrote:
Joerg Mayer wrote:
On Sun, Aug 12, 2007 at 11:05:44AM +0200, Luis EG Ontanon wrote:
YAPP's Driver is either GPL or Artistic .

http://search.cpan.org/~fdesar/Parse-Yapp-1.05/lib/Parse/Yapp.pm#COPYRIGHT

: You may use and distribute them under the terms of either the GNU
: General Public License or the Artistic License, as specified in the Perl
: README file.

Sure, but GPLv2 only if I see this correctly?

It doesn't specify this, does it? That gives you the right to use it
under any version of the GPL you choose.

That would be for lawyers to decide... but I wouldn't assume so, it's
just incompletely specified. If there is no license, you may do NOTHING
with the code, not everything.

I'm pretty sure I read *somewhere* on fsf.org (though I now can't find it) that not specifying a version means "any version" in their eyes.

Also, looking at the perl license that
is mentioned in the document cited above it looks like perl uses exactly
version 2 (man perlgpl).

Yes, that's true - though to be honest I'd see the "as specified in" clause as an informative, rather than normative, reference.

Um; remind me how this is actually relevant here?