Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Legal problems including the IANA PORT NUMBERS file into Wiresha

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2007 19:35:52 +0200
Hi!

I'm one of the developers of the open source network protocol analyzer Wireshark[1].

I would like to include the IANA list of assigned port numbers [2] into Wireshark, so it will display the "human readable" service name instead of only the TCP/UDP/... port number. The file in the Wireshark package will be updated from time to time with the IANA file, so it won't get outdated too much.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find any copyright / license notice of the port numbers file, so I would like to ask if there are any legal problems to include it into Wireshark. Wireshark itself is open source software released under the GPL, so I hope there are no problems.

If you need any further informations about Wireshark, just feel free to ask ...

Regards, Ulf Lamping

[1] http://www.wireshark.org
[2] http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers
Jetzt neu! Schützen Sie Ihren PC mit McAfee und WEB.DE. 3 Monate