Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Problem building sources on Windows

From: "Kevin Tambascio" <kevin.tambascio@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 18:49:15 -0400
I've been trying to build Wireshark (latest SVN as well as 0.99.5) and
I've been having some issues.  I've seen this issue under both VS2003
and VS2005.  I'm running XP SP2, and using the latest cygwin install.

When I run the build command for the first time, using the
instructions from here:
http://www.codeproject.com/useritems/custom_dissector.asp, I get the
following error:

Linking dumpcap.exe
        link @C:\DOCUME~1\KMTAMBAS\LOCALS~1\Temp\nm58DE.tmp
        mt.exe -nologo -manifest "dumpcap.exe.manifest"
-outputresource:dumpcap.exe;1
        cd doc
        "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\BIN\nmake.exe"
/                   -f Makefile.nmake

Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 8.00.50727.42

        cd ..
        "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\BIN\nmake.exe"
/                   -f makefile.nmake AUTHORS-SHOR
T-FORMAT

Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 8.00.50727.42

        perl perlnoutf.pl make-authors-format.pl < AUTHORS-SHORT >
AUTHORS-SHORT-FORMAT
        cd doc
        copy /B wireshark.pod + ..\AUTHORS-SHORT-FORMAT wireshark-tmp.pod
wireshark.pod
..\AUTHORS-SHORT-FORMAT
        1 file(s) copied.
        bash -o igncr pod2html                     --title="The
Wireshark Network Analyzer 0.99.7"  --noindex
                       wireshark-tmp.pod > wireshark.html
bash: pod2html: No such file or directory
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'bash' : return code '0x7f'
Stop.
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
8\VC\BIN\nmake.exe"' : return code '0x2'
Stop.

C:\src\wireshark\wireshark-svn>

When I run 'nmake -f Makefile.nmake all' a second time, I get a
similar error that involves a file called 'tshark.pod' and
'tshark.html'.  If I run it a third time, I get a similar error about
'wireshark-filter.pod'.  When I see the error, if I look in
c:\src\wireshark\wireshark-svn\doc, I do see these files that it
claims are missing (the *.pod files).  When I issue the command the
second and third times, it seems to get further than before it did
previously.  Running it a fourth time (to get past the
'wireshark-filter.pod' error message) never seems to get past that
error, and I can't complete the build.

c:\src\wireshark\wireshark-svn is the directory that I downloaded the
latest SVN source into.  I also tried to build 0.99.5 and had the same
issue.  Any thoughts on where to look for the source of the error?
Does it point to something wrong in my environment?

Only change to config.nmake was to add some text to VERSION_EXTRA and
uncomment out my compiler.

(Please include me on your response as I am not a subscriber.)

Regards,
Kevin