Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Building wireshark-0.99.6 problems on Linux

From: Fabrizio Bertocci <fabrizio@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2007 10:41:14 -0700
Jeff Morriss wrote:

For the releases we (try to) turn off warnings as errors because, well,
we can't clean up all the warnings on all the platform+Glib/GTK+compiler
combinations--especially with compiler bugs.

For 0.99.6 warnings-as-errors was turned off in the top level configure
but not (by mistake) in the wiretap/configure script.
A-Ah... well, that was the source of my problem when I tried to build on RH9/RHEL3... well, again it's not a big deal, forcing it to be disabled work with no problem. However I would recommend to be consistent with the top level settings and turn off warnings-as-errors also on wiretap. Treating warnings as errors is useful only for a developer, but is only going to create trouble for somebody that just want to use wireshark (and perhaps can't find a prebuilt version for his platform).

Fabrizio