Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Building wireshark-0.99.6 problems on Linux

From: Fabrizio Bertocci <fabrizio@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2007 12:16:14 -0700
Guy,
About the problem with the location of the man pages.
I think the problem here is related to the autoconf version of whoever generated the 'configure' script for the distribution.
I don't run autoconf when I build wireshark, instead I just launch the ./configure script.
In my opinion the problem is to trace to the autoconf of whoever packaged wireshark 0.99.6 source code from the repository.

Fabrizio

Guy Harris wrote:
Fabrizio Bertocci wrote:

[2] The RPM build still fail because apparently the man pages are now
installed under $PREFIX/share/man instead of $PREFIX/man.
The workaround is, again, to change the SPEC file (same as above),
replacing the line:
%prefix/man/*/*
into:
%prefix/share/man/*/*
(in %files section)
Again, the correct action would be to understand why the man pages are
installed under '$PREFIX/share' now and perhaps move it back the way it
was before.

The directory in which the man pages are installed was chosen by
automake and autoconf.

I.e.:

        The top-level Makefile.am file doesn't specify where man pages are to
go; automake turns it into a Makefile.in file that installs them under
$(mandir).

        The top-level configure.in file doesn't specify how to set mandir;
autoconf turns it into a configure script that, at least with the
version of autoconf in Mac OS X 10.4.10:

        $ autoconf --version
        autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.59

sets it to ${prefix}/man, which means that version, at least, installs
it in /usr/local/man, not /usr/local/share/man, by default.  Perhaps the
version of autoconf that build the configure script you're using was
different.

Given that we don't choose where the man pages are to be put, except
perhaps implicitly by choosing a particular OS with a particular version
of autoconf, the correct action might well be to have the
wireshark.spec.in file not hardcode the directory in which the man pages
are to be installed, but, instead, to have the configure script figure
out what subdirectory of ${prefix} will have the man pages installed,
set a variable to that subdirectory, and have wireshark.spec.in refer to
that variable, so the directory chosen by autoconf will be used as the
installation directory.