Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] p2p_dir

From: Richard van der Hoff <richardv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2007 19:22:21 +0100
Hi all,

I'm looking at extending the H.223 dissector to work over ISDN. (ftr, H.223 is a circuit-based protocol which is supposed to work over the telephone network; currently wireshark will dissect it over IAX2, TCP or RTP, and I want to extend it to the one place it really really _ought_ to work...)

The isdn dissector currently sets pinfo->ctype = CT_ISDN, and pinfo->circuit_id to the ISDN channel number; however, it provides no means to distinguish the two directions on that channel, which the H.223 dissector needs in order to perform conversation tracking.

One option would be to special-case for pinfo->ctype==CT_ISDN in the H.223 dissector, and then check pinfo->pseudo_header->isdn.uton for the direction bit - but that seems unnecessarily specific to ISDN.

It seems better to use pinfo->p2p_dir for this. I just wanted to check that this was the intended use of this field before modifying the isdn dissector. (It's also not entirely obvious how the user/network semantics of isdn should map onto the sent/received semantics of p2p_dir; however, I don't think that actually matters a great deal).

Thanks,

Richard