Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Wireshark Logo/Icons

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 09:00:38 +0100
Guy Harris wrote:
> Rodney Dawes wrote:
>
>> I've drawn a set of icons[1] in the Tango[2] style. Would it be possible
>> to get these icons into the wireshark source as the primary application
>> icon?
>
> ...at least for UN*X+X11 desktops.  I don't know what the "right" style
> would be for Windows (and would it change between "classic", Luna, and
> Aero?) or OS X (although currently we treat OS X as another UN*X+X11
> desktop).
>
> Should they have a blue background, along the lines of the current icon,
> or should the style change (or is that part of the icons
> transparent/translucent)?

For windows after the advent of Vista, a program now needs the main icon in 10
different variants:

16 colours : 16x16, 32x32, 48x48
256 colours: 16x16, 32x32, 48x48
32 bit (8 bits per RGB + 8 bit alpha) : 16x16, 32x32, 48x48, 256x256

There is also a 24x24 that is used for the Start menu but MS states that this
doesn't need to be provided as Windows will create it by resizing.  Some icon
folks think that the result sucks and that if supplied Windows will use the 24x24.

The 256x256 image is stored using PNG compression.

Note that the Visual Studio Tools can't handle the largest size yet (will come
in the VS2008 'Orcas' release I believe) so third party tools have to be used
to add the icon to the executable.

MS Info on icons (pre-Vista) :

MS Vista Icons : http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa511280.aspx

Currently the main executable has two different icons (one for docs) each with
5 different sizes in 256 colours only; 16x16, 24x24, 42,32, 48,48, 64x64.

GTK may impose other requirements that I'm not aware of.

--
Regards,

Graham Bloice