Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Question regard MySQL dissector Revision 22339

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 11:12:13 -0400

Fixed in 22359.

Luis EG Ontanon wrote:
I think there's no good reason remove it, so probably we've got is
someone making a mistake.

On 7/19/07, Martin Warnes <martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi/

The recent revision to the MySQL dissector seems to have had an impact
on a dissector I'm developing for a protocol that can carry a MySQL payload.

Within my code I have the following:

     db_handle = find_dissector ("mysql");
     if (db_handle)
           call_dissector (db_handle, next_tvb, pinfo, gis_tree);

Following R22339 my dissector no longer hands off the payload to the
MySQL dissector because the handle returned by "find_dissector" is
always null.

Looking at the recent patch I noticed that the following
register_dissector call was removed.

register_dissector("mysql",dissect_mysql_pdu,proto_mysql)

I haven't had time to look at what the rest of the latest patch does but
was wondering what the reason for removing the register_dissector was?
and if there was a reason what would be the best way for my plugin to
handle locating and calling the MySQL dissector for any sub-dissection
required.

In the meantime I have simply added the call back in and it allows my
dissector to work as before, but not sure what impact this would have on
the new patch.