Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Question regard MySQL dissector Revision 22339

From: "Luis EG Ontanon" <luis.ontanon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 15:40:09 +0200
I think there's no good reason remove it, so probably we've got is
someone making a mistake.

On 7/19/07, Martin Warnes <martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi/

The recent revision to the MySQL dissector seems to have had an impact
on a dissector I'm developing for a protocol that can carry a MySQL payload.

Within my code I have the following:

     db_handle = find_dissector ("mysql");
     if (db_handle)
           call_dissector (db_handle, next_tvb, pinfo, gis_tree);

Following R22339 my dissector no longer hands off the payload to the
MySQL dissector because the handle returned by "find_dissector" is
always null.

Looking at the recent patch I noticed that the following
register_dissector call was removed.

register_dissector("mysql",dissect_mysql_pdu,proto_mysql)

I haven't had time to look at what the rest of the latest patch does but
was wondering what the reason for removing the register_dissector was?
and if there was a reason what would be the best way for my plugin to
handle locating and calling the MySQL dissector for any sub-dissection
required.

In the meantime I have simply added the call back in and it allows my
dissector to work as before, but not sure what impact this would have on
the new patch.

Cheers .. Martin