Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] GPL license question

From: Sebastien Tandel <sebastien@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 13:33:14 -0300
> One might be able to do as Nvidia/ATI et. al. do with their drivers.

> Create
> the plug-in itself as a generic binary module which decodes blocks of data;

That's the point ... block of datas ... where do they come from? And
after, how are you passing your decode data to tshark to be able to
output it?

IMHO, it would be better - and probably quicker - to write a new
sniffer/analyser than trying to avoid all the "GPL traps" in order to
distribute a wireshark plugin under a non-copyleft license.

Though I'm seeing a solution which could be to use a "generic" dumb
plugin dissector (GPL of course :)) (but smart for passing the dissected
data to tshark) which could write raw data on stdout and read the
dissection result on stdin (or others predefined files). The real
dissection would be done in an independent executable which would read
the output of the generic dumb plugin and would write the result of the
dissection in the other file. This way the independent executable could
be then non-GPL. Is it really useful? That's another question. But at
least, you're pretty sure that the FSF won't sue you (I think :)).

Regards,
Sebastien Tandel