Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] GPL license question

From: Phillip Paradis <phillip.paradis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 15:06:36 -0700
Essentially, you cannot comply with point <c> in a Wireshark plug-in DLL; in
order to compile the DLL, you must have the Wireshark source available,
parts of which are linked into the DLL. As Wireshark is GPL, so is the DLL.

--
Phil

On 7/11/07 8:46 AM, "Fulko.Hew@xxxxxxxxx" <Fulko.Hew@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Actually, I'd dissagree.  With GPL v2, there is a clause that a
developer can
> invoke if they write their code appropriately,
and if the 'infrastructure' can
> support it.

GPL 2 Section 2 paragraph 2, 3 and 4 cover this aspect.
(Note GPL
> v3, no longer appears to have these clauses.)

Basically...
a) if the
> infrastructure can support 3rd party code invoked
   dynamically at run time,
> and
b) if the infrastructure does not 'depend' on the 3rd party
   code for
> its operation, and
c) if your code is not statically linked with GPL'ed code