Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Windows build crashing

From: Jim Pickering <james.pickering@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2007 13:59:33 -0700
crashes in msvcr80.dll get_osfhandle() with an invalid parameter (pipe_input->source = 3)

Jim Pickering
Senior Software Engineer
SRI International
4119 Broad Street, Suite 210
San Luis Obispo, CA 93401
Phone: (805) 542-9330 ext. 125
FAX: (805) 546-2444

Jim Pickering wrote:
Crashes on line 650 ... handle = (HANDLE) _get_osfhandle (pipe_input->source); in gui_utils.c.

Second time through loop (iterations == 1).

First time through loop, pipe_input->pipe_input_id = 0; (line 668) if that means anything.

Jim

Jim Pickering
Senior Software Engineer
SRI International
4119 Broad Street, Suite 210
San Luis Obispo, CA 93401
Phone: (805) 542-9330 ext. 125
FAX: (805) 546-2444

Graham Bloice wrote:
Jim Pickering wrote:
The build environment is Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition.

I built adns_dll.dll with Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition and relinked
wireshark, as suggested.

Wireshark still crashes when loading a previously saved capture file or
when starting a new capture.

Are you sure that the new dll is being used, i.e. that it is in the dir where
wireshark.exe is located?  You might have do do a clean (nmake -f
makefile.nmake clean) and then a rebuild.

If you are using the new dll, then you will have to do a little more work in
order to identify where the problem is, by using the VS debugger

The procedure I use is to run wireshark out of the build tree
(wireshark-gtk2\wireshark.exe) fire up VS and from the Tools Menu choose
"Attach to Process". Select wireshark.exe from the list, then do whatever you need to cause a crash. VS may ask you for the path to the sources. To help with the debugging, make sure you have a symbol cache setup pointing to the MS Symbol Server (Tools | Options | Debugging | Symbols and then F1 for the help,
read this and then look for "How to: Use a Symbol Server").