Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Proper use of proto_tree_add_string?

From: "Kevin A. Noll" <spamknoll@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 19:43:06 -0400

I am running into some error conditions in decoding WLCCP and would like to
catch the error and print a nice message in the protocol tree at the point
the error occurs and stop decoding at that point.

I have the logic down, but I'm trying to understand the best way to place
the "nice message" into the protocol tree. Proto_tree_add_string sounds like
the right function, but the arguments seem to indicate otherwise. I think
proto_tree_add_string is going to add a string to the tree based on data
that is pulled from the packet.

In my case, though, I'm not basing my string on data that's in the packet.
Instead, it's just a nice warning message that something is wrong with the
packet format.

What's the best way to handle this?

(apologies if this has come to the list multiple times, we just changed our
mail system and I've not been seeing my own posts)

--kan--
--
Kevin A. Noll, KD4WOZ
CCIE, CCDP