Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Which install files have changed based on source modificatio

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 20:38:13 +0200
Hi,

> Thanks, I thought that answer may come up. Only issue with that is
> that the user will have to uninstall the version they have before
> installing my version :(

So? They get back a version even better, usually not a problem.
I can do you even better. Release the improvements and they may end up in stock release ;)

What you can do is modify the default install path in the installer. That would be a start.

Thanx,
Jaap

Greg Bell wrote:
Thanks, I thought that answer may come up. Only issue with that is that the user will have to uninstall the version they have before installing my version :( A follow up question on this... can two different Wireshark installations exist on the same system? If so, how can I differentiate my version from a stock install? That is, Windows must see my version (such as in Add/Remove Programs) as a completely different and independent app. I'm assuming the VERSION_EXTRA thing is not enough.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.
*/Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>/* wrote:

    Hi,

    This sounds all overly complicated. You could deduce which
    executable/DLL is affected by you changes by unraveling the build
    process, but it's much easier to build you own full installer.

    Thanx,
    Jaap

    Greg Bell wrote:
     > Hello,
     >
     > I'd like to make some modifications to Wireshark and package only
    the
     > modified/new DLL's (or other modified files) in my own installer.
    This