Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Spam] to start capturing externally

Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 15:55:06 +0530

One more problem is ... i cant use command line options because command line options require me to give stop condition in advance like stop after 10 sec etc........but i want to stop it dynamically when i want

Phillip Paradis <phillip.paradis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wireshark-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

06/14/2007 12:24 PM
Please respond to
Developer support list for Wireshark <wireshark-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

"Developer support list for Wireshark <wireshark-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>"        , <Amit.Paliwal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Spam]  to start capturing externally

If you simply need to capture to a file for later analysis, you could simply invoke tshark or dumpcap with the appropriate command-line options to start capturing, and either use the appropriate options to stop capturing after a certain time/amount, or simply kill the process (I would imagine SIGINTR would work on *nix, not sure how to semi-cleanly terminate under Win32; TerminateProcess would work, though pending writes might not flush correctly...)

If you absolutely need to start/stop the GUI Wireshark, you might simply locate the appropriate hWnd and post messages to it to simulate the necessary keystrokes/clicks. (This assumes you’re running Windows; if you’re on *nix of some sort, I presume X11 provides equivalent facilities, though I have no idea what they are or how to use them.)

--
Phil