Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] to start capturing externally

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 23:35:40 -0700
Amit.Paliwal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I want to write an external application or interface that will give commands like start capturing and stop capturing
to the wireshark.

can anyone please help me out in this as what all are the exported methods that i can call from my application
to start and stop capturing from there.

There aren't any (if by "exported methods" you mean methods exported by mechanisms such as ActiveX/Bonobo/AppleScript/etc.).

One could argue that there should be, although one could also argue that those exported methods are provides should *NOT* be tied to any particular platform's "exported object method" mechanism, so that it could export them via ActiveX (or whatever the current hip and trendy mechanism is on Windows), Bonobo (or whatever the current hip and trendy mechanism is in GNOME) KParts (or whatever the current hip and trendy mechanism is in KDE), AppleScript (or whatever the current hip and trendy mechanism is on OS X), etc..