Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Wireshark-commits] rev 22094: /trunk/ /trunk/epan/dissector

From: Stephen Fisher <stephentfisher@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 16:57:10 -0700
Gerald,

The check-in below broke the Unix builds with a few warnings treated as
errors.  A few are simple fixes, but the inclusion of a wiretap header
in non-wiretap dissector code is getting a bit tricky.  The compiler's
complaints are:

cc1: warnings being treated as errors
In file included from packet-ppi.c:56:
../../wiretap/wtap-capture.h:31: warning: 'struct pcap_pkthdr' declared
inside parameter list
../../wiretap/wtap-capture.h:31: warning: its scope is only this
definition or declaration, which is probably not what you want
packet-ppi.c: In function 'capture_ppi':
packet-ppi.c:360: warning: unused parameter 'pd'
packet-ppi.c: In function 'dissect_80211n_mac':
packet-ppi.c:493: warning: unused parameter 'pinfo'
packet-ppi.c: In function 'dissect_ppi':
packet-ppi.c:631: warning: unused variable 'gen_tvb'
packet-ppi.c: In function 'proto_register_ppi':
packet-ppi.c:862: warning: unused variable 'channel_freq_rs'
make[4]: *** [libcleandissectors_la-packet-ppi.lo] Error 1

The first two warning messages are solved within the wiretap code by
including the system's pcap.h file.  However, this should be wrapped
inside an #ifdef HAVE_PCAP_H.  (and apparently sys/types.h, if
available, according to wiretap/libpcap.c).  The problem is that that
define is only available in wiretap/config.h and not the base config.h,
so you would need to include both config.h files in the packet-ppi.c
dissector code.  This would cause conflicts between the common
declarations inside the config.h files...