Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Windows build crashing

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 09:47:06 +0100
Jim Pickering wrote:
> I am new to the mailing list and am in the process of developing a
> protocol dissector.
>
> I downloaded the source and build the executable on Windows XP.
> Everything went quite well. Kudos to the development team.
>
> I ran the built app
> (C:\wireshark>C:\wireshark\wireshark-gtk2\wireshark.exe), selected
> "Capture", selected "Interfaces", hit "Start" on my "Broadcom NetXtreme
> Gigabit Ethernet Driver", and it
> crashes with the following:
>    AppName: wireshark.exe     AppVer: 0.99.5.0     ModName: msvcr80.dll
>    ModVer: 8.0.50727.762     Offset: 0001ebf3
>
> This does not happen with the executable I downloaded.
>
> Built executable from source is Version 0.99.5
> Downloaded executable is Version 0.99.5 (SVN Rev 20677)
>
> I am dying to get started on my protocol dissector, but this is holding
> me up!
>
> Any ideas? Can I supply any more information?

You don't indicate your build environment, but as msvcr80.dll is mentioned I
assume that you're using VS2005 in some form.

If this is the case, I think the problem is likely to be adns_dll.dll.  The
version that is downloaded is built with VC6, and doesn't play well with
VS2005 (VC8).  Open the adns project (adns_win32.dsw) in VS2005, convert it to
the VS2005 project format and rebuild it.  Link wireshark again and you should
be good to go.

--
Regards,

Graham Bloice